Improving traffic flow, reducing delays, and improving safety for everyone on the road resulted from a $17.8 interchange concept built by the Missouri Department of Transportation for two projects at U.S. Highway 50 and Interstate 49 in Grandview; an interchange called a “divergabout.”
A “divergabout” creates traffic pattern specifically tailored for interchanges with high traffic volumes and increased risks of serious crashes. The concept takes a divergent diamond and a roundabout and combines them into one.
Due to a nearby water park and other attractions, MoDOT knew a typical design solution would not be practical for this highway interchange, which is why the agency chose to built this first of its kind in the world “divergabout” instead.
Read additional stories from this state:
- Columbia I-70 Bridges Design-Build Project
- Focus on Bridges
- I-435 South Loop Link Opens the Way to Shorter Commutes
- Infrastructure Improvements for Downtown S. Louis
- Manchester Bridge Design-Build
- MoDOT Safety Design-Build Project
- Ozark County North Fork River Bridge Replacements
- Project Freeway: U.S. 60 Rogersville
- Route 364/Page Phase 3
- Safe & Sound Bridge Improvement Program