The Missouri Department of Transportation’s $63 million project replaced the crumbling Manchester Bridge over I-70 in Kansas City to improve safety and mobility for thousands of motorists who use it daily. Crews used the innovative design-build contracting method that lets a single bidder combine the separate design and construction phases to speed up the project schedule and minimize the length of traffic disruptions. The new bridge design improved traffic flow and lane merging onto I-70 for thousands of football and baseball fans moving to and from the city’s nearby Truman Sports Complex.
Completing the project under traffic required extensive maintenance of traffic planning.
Read additional stories from this state:
- Columbia I-70 Bridges Design-Build Project
- Focus on Bridges
- I-435 South Loop Link Opens the Way to Shorter Commutes
- Infrastructure Improvements for Downtown S. Louis
- Kansas City Divergabout Project
- MoDOT Safety Design-Build Project
- Ozark County North Fork River Bridge Replacements
- Project Freeway: U.S. 60 Rogersville
- Route 364/Page Phase 3
- Safe & Sound Bridge Improvement Program