Improving safety for bridge users while also cutting down on detour and delay time during repairs were key goals of a $685 million project launched by the Missouri Department of Transportation 12 years ago to rehabilitate 802 bridges across the state.
MoDOT began its Safe & Sound Bridge Improvement Program in 2008 and designated roughly 250 out of those 802 bridges as rehabilitation projects, while the remaining overhauls were completed via a design-build contract.
While the program’s original completion date for this project was the end of 2013, MoDOT actually wrapped up the last bridge project 14 months ahead of schedule.
Read additional stories from this state:
- Columbia I-70 Bridges Design-Build Project
- Focus on Bridges
- I-435 South Loop Link Opens the Way to Shorter Commutes
- Infrastructure Improvements for Downtown S. Louis
- Kansas City Divergabout Project
- Manchester Bridge Design-Build
- MoDOT Safety Design-Build Project
- Ozark County North Fork River Bridge Replacements
- Project Freeway: U.S. 60 Rogersville
- Route 364/Page Phase 3