Maryland Department of Transportation’s State Highway Administration helped improve the safety and quality of life for local Calvert County businesses and recreational facilities.
In fall 2020, MDOT SHA announced the completion of construction of the $50 million widening project that breaks the bottleneck on MD 2/4 (Solomons Island Road) from Fox Run Boulevard to Commerce Lane, marking a milestone in Calvert County. Solomons Island Road connects to Calvert Memorial Hospital, Prince Frederick Town Center, area businesses, and recreational facilities. Work on the .8-mile-long stretch included adding a third lane in each direction as well as a raised median, bicycle-compatible 5-foot-wide ADA compliant sidewalks, and a traffic signal with turn lanes at the Commerce Lane intersection. This is a win-win for the community and transportation enthusiasts alike.
Read additional stories from this state:
- Context Driven Guide and Web Portal
- MD 273 over Big Elk Creek
- MD 30 Business (Main Street) Urban Reconstruction
- Supply Chain and Healthcare Access Projects
- MD 32 Phase 1 Keeps Traffic Flowing
- New Dover Bridge (MD 331) Opens Access for Vehicle and Marine Traffic Without Delays
- New MD 261 Bridge Provides a Wider, Safer Route to the Beach
- Operational and Safety Improvements to US 1 in College Park
- Severn River Bridge (US 50/301) Transformation Brings Regional Benefits